Archives by Month

March

2013

ImageMagick and rmagic install HELL

I’m mainly writing this post for myself because like so many before me that are running OS X / Rails environment …… Installing imagemagick and rmagic gem is pure HELL. Here are the steps that fixed it for me.

1. Install imagemagick via homebrew 

brew install imagemagick -f

 

2. Follow steps for creating symlinks like so. be sure to pay attention to the version number in the cd line of code and change it to whatever version you are currently running. 

cd /usr/local/Cellar/imagemagick/6.8.0-10/lib
ln -s libMagick++-Q16.7.dylib   libMagick++.dylib
ln -s libMagickCore-Q16.7.dylib libMagickCore.dylib
ln -s libMagickWand-Q16.7.dylib libMagickWand.dylib

3. Install the gem via the command line with the following code. I made sure I was in the directory of my rails app but I’m not sure if that matters. In my case the rails app needed rmagick version 2.12.2 so I made sure to specify the version number below. 

PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/Cellar/imagemagick/6.8.0-10/lib/pkgconfig C_INCLUDE_PATH=/usr/local/Cellar/imagemagick/6.8.0-10/include/ImageMagick gem install rmagick -v '2.12.2'

 

I know a good IOS / Objective-c developer

Yep, this is a shameless self promoting post, but hey that’s what my site is for. Rather than getting into technical details about stuff over a series of posts about Objective-C, and things I’m learning about the bla bla bla bla bla technical, bla bla bla, I figured I would just come right out and say it. I’m now looking for and taking on objective-c projects. I’m a couple of weeks away from posting my first completed app to the app store and it’s really exciting to be able to say that.

Recently I took on a project and it was to build an iPad app for NMSU (New Mexico State University). I did my usual “lets build it with Actionscript shpeel” because it’s multi-platform and we can deploy to ios, android, desktop and so on. WELL in this case it worked great until I got to one feature that needed to be native for performance reasons. The application required using some sort of Map api in order to draw polygons. Long story short, there was not a good solution via actionscript that preformed very well aside from building a Native Extension in objective-c. The application slowed to a crawl and even crashed sometimes when asking it to draw some of these complex shapes on an actual iPad. 

I took the opportunity to create the exact same app using Objective-C. This of course allowed me to use the built in MapView that comes with iOS. Needless to say it preformed perfectly and the client is super happy with the performance. Recoding took around 2-3 weeks and wasn’t really that difficult. It was just a matter of me understanding some of the fundamental differences in the syntax but honestly now that I’m a month or so in I’m enjoying Objective-C and looking forward to doing more work with it. 

So, if you are looking for an Objective-C developer, look no further than right here.

Contact: Matthew Wallace
m: 615-400-4773
e:m at mattwallace.me 

If you are interested in taking this corse then submit your email. I'll make sure you get a discount for signing up early.